One of the fastest growing companies in America, Shields Health Solutions partners with hospital leaders on every aspect of specialty pharmacy creation and management. The company provides the fastest, lowest risk model for Hospital leaders to create a hospital-owned specialty pharmacy business, whether starting from scratch or adding specialty capabilities to a hospital's existing pharmacy programs.
The organization is seeking a highly motivated, self-starter who looking for an opportunity in a rapidly-growing organization. The growth function at Shields is divided into two separate groups: one that on-boards new hospital partners and one that focuses on growth at existing hospital partners. This Director of Strategic Development role will be responsible for driving growth at Shields' existing 8 hospital partners.
This role demands a strong analytical thinker who is able identify macro growth strategies applicable across all of our hospital partners as well as opportunities that arise because of a specific hospitals' service lines, payer mixes or business strategies. And while strategic thinking is essential for this role, this individual must also have a strong operating background to ensure flawless execution of these strategies in a matrixed organization. Pure play 'strategists' or 'thinkers' who lack an interest in operational details need not apply.
When Shields on-boards a new hospital partner, it prioritizes the rollout of its specialty pharmacy program across a number of therapeutic areas in a hospital. The goal of the initial roll-out is to ensure appropriate payor & limited distribution contracts are in place, the IT systems are functioning and the program is supporting a select number of specialty therapeutic areas. Once the operation is stabilized, this individual will determine, set and execute the subsequent wave of initiatives that drive a specialty pharmacy programs growth.
The strategies for growth will be determined through rigorous data analysis and on-site research performed at each of our 8 hospital partners. Using a combination of these two approaches, this individual will develop a list of growth opportunities, understand their absolute size and perform ROI calculations to prioritize efforts. Examples of growth strategies are as follows:
- Implement the specialty pharmacy program for a new group of pediatric pulmonologists that was purchased by the hospital after the initial implementation
- Implement an improved medication delivery to more effectively serve the infectious disease patient population following the results of a patient survey analysis and financial ROI calculation that indicated improved service would lead to additional patients showing interest in the program
- Devise an effective approach for engaging a group of physicians who are accustomed to using the 'mom & pop' specialty pharmacy down the street who were initially resistant to utilizing the hospitals systems' specialty pharmacy
Once the strategies for all sites are set, this individual will be responsible for the implementation of these growth initiatives across the hospital partners. This director will need to work effectively with the site managers and corporate leadership to pave the way for prompt implementation of strategies. Thus strong communication and partnership skills are needed to work with internal Shields and external Hospital based partners.
Education: A bachelor's degree is required and an MBA is preferred
Years of Experience: 7+ years of experience in healthcare strategy, operations or consulting; experience in specialty pharmacy is a preferred but not a requirement
- Ability to identify macro trends in the market place
- Personally execute rigorous ROI Analyses in excel using advanced functionality (vlookup, index match, pivot tables, etc.),
- Advanced PowerPoint capabilities to effectively communicate complex topics
- Excellent leadership and managerial capabilities
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to build collaborative and meaningful relationships across a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders (hospital staff, clinicians and c-suite hospital executives, Shields site leadership and Shields corporate employees)
- Experience in process flow mapping & process improvement
- Capable of operating with limited direct oversight
- Able to execute under pressure and tight timelines
- Strong project management skills
Traits: Organized, high-integrity, attention to detail, dependable, quality focus, mature, credible, well presented, empathetic, energetic, highly motivated, team player;
- Proactively identify a list of growth opportunities that apply to one or more of the Shields' hospital partners
- Perform an ROI calculation on each of these opportunities to understand relative priority
- Gain organizational buy-in from hospital partners and corporate/site specific Shields leadership
- Personally execute or oversee the implementation of the growth initiative in a timely manner
- Track and communicate progress against growth goals to hospital partners and internal Shields leadership
- Identify trends, resolves problems and lead the development of new processes to continuously improve the specialty pharmacy operation
- Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Willing to do whatever is necessary for the betterment of the Organization;
- Other duties as assigned